Laminate Planning Help? Double Closets....

Old 02-25-14, 07:51 AM
Laminate Planning Help? Double Closets....

My son's room is typical - roughly 11' x 11'. It currently has carpet and my wife is really wanting to change it out for laminate. I have a few questions that I could use community help on....

His room enters from a long hallway and faces a window, which would make me want to lead the planks long way to the window from the entry. room is pretty square, so that should be good.

It has two closets, however, that open on the right wall at each end when you come in the room. Since base is already down/caulked (house is 7 years old) I will most likely just leave baseboard and use 1/4 round afterward. I can cut up the jams to support on the doors.

that said, do you use the longest width (including the closet space) to determine your layout? (room width including closet depth - expansion space divided by board width?) I have attached the photo so you can see what I'm getting at. I've done dining rooms, etc but this is my first bedroom so the closets are throwing me a bit...HELP!

Much thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 09:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to need transition strips at both closet doors and the door coming into the room.
Most often I change the direction inside the closet.
Start at the window and work your way out.

Old 02-25-14, 10:18 AM
start at window?

So I'm running floor in room right? U mean start on window wall corner and work back to doors, right? Then run closets opposite (long way) with trans strips?

Old 02-25-14, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't see a problem with starting on the left most wall and working toward the closets. I don't think the room is so big that transition strips are a mandatory item. In this case, I would see transition strips at each closet as a sigh of a inexperienced install. Lay out your floor so that the transition comes part way between the jambs of the closets. No need to change directions. You want sufficient width on each side of the closet walls so that you don't have slivers of laminate on the floor. Begin by taking a case and laying them clicked side by side and span the entire room Set the far end in the closet jamb area and then let that determine how thick you starter row is. Let us know if you need help maneuvering through the closet transitions.

I might add that removal of the base molding will make the overall install easier. I would not determine my install on the fact that the base is already caulked..... Cut the caulk bead with a utility knife, remove, and reinstall with new bead of caulk.