laminate acclimate?

Old 02-26-14, 02:35 PM
laminate acclimate?

We had 1000 sq ft of Shaw laminate flooring delivered today....initially told it needed to acclimate in steady (72degree?) whole-house temp. for a week. We didn't have the ac/heat finished installing yet, but now it is done and floor is inside.
What I am wondering is, how long does it really need to acclimate? Because now they are saying they want to come install it in two days, and that would include doing some leveling the same day.....does that seem right? It's upstairs over plywood subfloor that definitely needs some tightening and leveling. Just want objective opinion how long it Really needs to acclimate! Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In conditioned space I usually shoot for 3 days (72hrs). Default to the manufacturer's recommendations on the installation instructions that can be found inside each box of flooring. So, delivered today, install in 2 days, that makes 3 days, so I'm fine if the house has been conditioned.

Old 02-26-14, 10:08 PM
The main thing I'd say, not to let them dictate when to install it based on their next job needs. You are paying for it, you are ordering the music so to speak.
The acclimation process is probably depended on what environment the floor came from in the first place and how stable is the current environment. If it came from dead frozen state to 72 degree, it's probably better to acclimate it longer than shorter.
And what czizzi, says, can't go wrong with the manufacturer's instructions. After all they will guarantee their product providing the instructions are followed. I am sure that is also written on the pamphlet.

Old 02-27-14, 06:45 AM
I very much appreciate the feedback......and reminder of 'who's in charge'! We will tell them to start it next week to err on the side of caution. Only other thing is they didn't carry the boxes upstairs, instead stacked them directly on the entry concrete floor, so the boxes on the bottom at least will definitely be more chilled!
I'll try not to lose sleep over that! l

As for leveling......ok, even if thick in places, to lay floating floor before it can dry out? Or will it dry fine under the underlayment/floor?

Thanks again

Old 02-27-14, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Self leveling compounds set up relatively fast, so I would not worry about it. They don't retain a lot of moisture. However, it is important that primer be used with SLC to ensure an appropriate bond.