Laying hardwood over joists.

Old 02-26-14, 07:41 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laying hardwood over joists.

We are going to be laying a new hardwood floor in our upstairs hallway. The old hardwood is pieced in with plywood and what is left of the floor is not salvageable. We went to Lowes to buy it and the guy there said we had to put a sub floor down first. I want to pull up the old floor that is nailed to the floor joist and put the new floor on the joist. It is 3/4 inch hardwood. If we lay a sub floor, it will make the hallway taller than the 3 bedrooms and bathroom that come off of it. Is there a way to lay it over the joists? It's a small hallway, 14' x 3 1/2'.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 08:07 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you do not mind a squeaking, flexing, floor with gaps that open up then just laying over the joist like they did 50 or more years ago will work.
Laying over a 3/4" thick T & G subfloor would be the best way.

Old 02-26-14, 08:33 PM
W
That's what I don't understand, the old floor doesn't flex, there are no gaps (except where they replaced boards with plywood). I am just trying to understand why you can't put back down what was originally there. I can't have a hallway that you have to step down to enter each bedroom and bathroom. If we put 3/4 inch T&G plus 3/4 inch hardwood, that's a big difference.