Trying to solve a wood floor next to shower situation

Old 03-03-14, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to solve a wood floor next to shower situation

Hello,

I just purchased a 100 year old house that was renovated in 2012. The people who did the renovation kept the original floors in many parts of the house, including in the master bathroom that was probably not a bathroom in the original floor plan of the house. The wood floors go along the outside of the shower and I am trying to come up with a solution to prevent the wood from being damaged by water and require a major repair. Any ideas on how to prevent water damage? I tried laying down plastic underneath a bath rug but water is still getting under it. Attached is a photo so you have a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-14, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
So there is no shower curtain, or what? The splashing of water usually has more to do with the habits of the person taking the shower... the way he closes the curtain, and the way the head of the shower is pointed. I can't see how this problem wouldn't be taken care of by just putting down a bath rug that is long enough to protect the floor, then hang it up somewhere when it's not in use... like on a heated towel rack. Maybe you will have to think about putting a frameless glass door on that opening.

Old 03-03-14, 07:59 PM
I agree with XSleeper's comments. At least add a shower curtain to block the water. And, hang the bath rug up to dry after each use. Also, make sure the caulk between the wood and the shower is adhering to both surfaces well. If not, remove it and buy the best silicone caulk you can find. Also, wax the floors with a paste wax by hand, working the wax down into the gap between boards' edges to keep water from seeping down there.

Old 04-01-14, 12:35 AM
rug? wax? remove the hardwood from the bathroom and replace with tile.