Is this heart pine?(pics attached) and what products are recommended

Old 03-06-14, 11:35 AM
Is this heart pine?(pics attached) and what products are recommended

So I pulled up the carpets in my new house and want to have the floors refinished. I have had a few guys out to check them out and am getting conflicting info. Dont stain, stain, shellac and oil, poly, water, oil, crayon, ---- etc etc etc etc!!!!!

The house has wide flooring in the front and more narrow in the back. I would like it to turn out dark brown but I hear pine does not take stain very well. Need something strong because we have dogs.

Shooting for the finished pic. Is that pine? Any tips are appreciated

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-14, 05:52 PM
Nothing helpful but nice find in good shape

Old 03-09-14, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Difficult to tell if it is "heart" pine without seeing the end grain. However, it is pine, and old growth, so the floor is in excellent shape. How old is the house? I'll defer the painting/finishing aspects to our paint guru, since I don't paint. I do like the last picture where it shows nice face nailing, setting, then finishing. Great touch to an older floor. I'll drop Marksr a note to check in here.

Old 03-09-14, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not overly fond of applying dark stains to pine but an older tight grained pine might do ok. Basically you'll need to sand it down to raw wood, remove dust, stain, poly, sand and remove dust and poly again [repeat if needed] Oil base polys tend to dry to a harder film than waterbased. Satin poly won't show wear as much as gloss does.

A wood condition is often used on pine to help even out the absorption of stain but might not be needed on old growth pine. Using conditioner will make the stain result lighter in color.