Is this Subfloor or hardwood? Should we finish?

Old 03-12-14, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this Subfloor or hardwood? Should we finish?

New homeowner here, with a house built in 1934. I'm fairly unknowledgable about how to fix the flooring in this house, because we've never done any home improvements before of this type. We've got 11 boxes of some really nice solid bamboo flooring we'd like to install ourselves, but after pulling up the horrid old carpet, staples and the like, we've discovered what appears to be the original hardwood floor. It looks like it may have been painted at one time, and isn't in great shape but I was wondering if it is salvageable. My boyfriend has told me that it is subfloor because it is the only layer between the basement and the upstairs but I'm not so sure. Then if we were to install flooring over it, when we lay a board down of flooring we can see pretty obviously that the floor isn't flat, so we are completely at a loss for what to do. We are super new at this but we can't afford a professional and have friends who can help us but we need a little more advice and instruction from those who have most experience. I'm trying to avoid too much trial and error and broken wood planks! Any info would be most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-14, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Got any pics? It would easier to identify by looking at it.

Old 03-12-14, 01:49 PM
A picture of the floor right after the carpet came up, before I pulled all the staples up.http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...307_150943.jpg

Old 03-12-14, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Could you post another pic that shows the wood grain more?

Old 03-12-14, 02:09 PM
Hopefully this one is a little better. This photbucket is a pain in the butt. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...312_140603.jpg

Old 04-01-14, 12:23 AM
Looks like flooring to me. Especially with that border around the the concrete slab. Follow your new flooring's instructions exactly as they are written.