Is anyone happpy with poly finishes?

Old 03-05-01, 03:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the input on my water damage question. We've decided to replace the floor. It was a faulty installation issue and our homeowner's insurance will replace it. The problem is,our wax finish floor is no longer available.

Has anyone reading this post been happy with polyurethane finish on oak parquet? I have yet to hear of a poly finish that continues to look nice years after it is laid. I would love to hear from someone who has small dogs and enjoys the this finish, because the way it will look in the future is important to me.

We are investigating a product made by Hartco that has a penetrating acrilic seal which requires similar maintenance as our wax finished floor. Has anyone experienced this finish?

This is a big decision! HELP!

Old 03-13-01, 01:40 PM
Kathy D
Visiting Guest
I can tell you about experiences at my home that was built in 1979 with hardwood floors everywhere except bath and kitchen.

My floors are coated with whatever product was used in '79.
I have twin girls, one English Springer Spaniel for past
seven years and a husband that tracks in mud, dirt, etc.

My floors have no wall-to-wall carpet over them, only
area rugs. There are scratches in the halls, on the steps.
There are scratches going into the family den. Our bedrooms have a few scratches plus the ususal spills that teenage
girls can do (nail polish remover will remove any finish).

I have had paint spills, food spills, and yes, my dog has
had a few accidents. All of these have been removed
with a little soap and water.

I only damp mop the floors--have never applied any wax
products, and overall these floors still look shiny.

If I have the opportunity to build a new home, my first choice would be for hardwood floors. Nothing is better.

I would expect with advanced technology, the floors being
made today would be superior to what is in my home.

Kathy D.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: