Hardwoods in kitchen?

Old 03-17-14, 06:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwoods in kitchen?

Hello, I currently have hardwood floors throughout 75% of my house with carped in the living room and master. My kitchen is a little small and my dining room is connected to the kitchen. I am considering extending my kitchen out into my large dining room, but the floors dont match up. Do you think it's possible to match the wood floor that I have and just replace my kitche floor with hardwood so it's a uniform surface through both the kitchen and dining room? If so, does anyone know how much this might cost? My kitchen floor would only be about 50 SF or so...

also could anyone tell me if the floor has to be replaced under all the cabinets and kitchen applicances if I went this route? I have very little experience?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-14, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
Many don't care for hardwood in the kitchen because it might get wet although I've had parquet in my kitchen for the last 10-12 yrs and it's held up great. Unless a transition strip would look ok, you'd need to lace the new wood in with the old and then refinish it in both rms. You can install flooring right up to the cabinets instead of under but you might have issues with the heights of the appliances.

Usually it's best to get multiple onsite estimates ..... and check references!

Old 03-18-14, 06:58 AM
thanks for the reply! I'm just really not sure what I should plan on this one.

Old 03-30-14, 11:20 PM
Does anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost/take to scale back some hardwoods to extend a kitchen floor out further into a dining room? My dining room hardwoods intersect with my kitchen floor vertically...is it possible to take back my hardwoods about 4 feet and cut the existing hardwoods? The kitchen is just too small..

Old 03-31-14, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A pic or two might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

It is something that can be done, it's just a matter of what it will take to make it look right.

Old 03-31-14, 11:30 PM
I was told not to tile over hardwoods..I feel stuck on what to do here...I will post some pics tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 04-08-14, 11:58 PM
What you are proposing can be done and makes great sense, although you will definitely need to find the right person for the job. As far as cost goes, its really hard to say, but a good place to start your search may be Angie's List. I'm a big fan of hardwoods in the kitchen and cannot stand seeing two different hard surface floorings, butted up against each other. I say, "Go for it!"

Old 04-09-14, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Carpetqueen, since it is a do it yourself site, it may be better to help the poster to actually accomplish the task themselves.

Old 04-12-14, 01:38 AM
Here's a couple pics of my kitchen floor and dining room. I am now considering decreasing the area of hardwood floor and putting new tile in thr kitchen that would extend further out into dining room to make more room in my kitchen. Can anyone tell me if its possible to saw off current hardwoods?
http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/y...412_012104.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/y...412_012132.jpg

Old 04-12-14, 03:01 AM
I'm new to flooring and DIY in general, so it's best to take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Have you thought about maybe putting in floor borders between the kitchen and dining room? I have seen it done tastefully and attached a picture of an example between two rooms with different hardwood floors.

Name:  border.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  38.6 KB

Old 04-12-14, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You are going to end up with a transition piece that is in the middle of a room as opposed to one that is tucked away between the cabinetry and the wall. To me that would be awkward. The thing that gives your kitchen a feeling of smallness is the overhead cabinetry above the countertop. If that was opened up, it would lend itself to the feeling of more room in the kitchen and making it a part of the dining room.

Old 04-12-14, 03:21 PM
The idea is that I would remove the overhead cabinets, but I wouldn't have enough storage. I could compensate for that if made a double side cabinet and made it go deeper out into the dining room. Then possible made a small countertop on the wall on the other side of the dining room entrance... I will try to sketch what im thinking on paint.. but none the less... I am not sure if I could just run a saw across the hardwood floors about 2 feet out and use the transition strip that is currently in place..just move it out to the new line.. I have no idea if this is possible?

Old 04-12-14, 03:34 PM
Here is the first photo...the basic layout of my kitchen to dining room...

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-14, 07:28 PM
Would this change be possible? The red box is probably the counter length I would remove to make more room and possibly put a counter top with shelves underneath on the other side of the dining room entrance through kitchen. I would also probable extend the depth of the main counter top to accomadate a set of cabinets on the opposite side as well...

Old 04-12-14, 07:31 PM

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-14, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've not done it, it should be a big deal to cut the hardwood and install a transition strip. Care must be used to make a neat straight cut! As Z said, just moving the floor to define the kitchen to a larger space won't look all that snazzy. It would look better if you were moving the cabinets to enlarge the kitchen but the window makes that a lot more difficult. If moving the kitchen floor out into the dining rm is your only intention - I'd leave it like it is.

Old 04-13-14, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You can probably increase the amount of cabinet space while also reducing the amount of cabinets over the counter with the addition of a floor height cabinet located near the current transition. Think of a pantry type cabinet that is 6 or 7 feet tall, 12" deep, 24" wide that sits on the floor against the left hand wall near the kitchen entrance and straddles the current two floors. Then remove at least the last portion of the cabinet over the counter to open up the kitchen. Not sure if you can totally eliminate all as the cook top may need overhead ventilation if it doesn't currently have down draft capabilities (which could be added). The lack of upper cabinets will make a huge difference.

Name:  100_03ca1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 04-13-14, 04:49 PM
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do but, yes, the major issue is the cabinets blocking the view into the large dining room. Would be nice to be able to extend the kitchen floor out into the dining room, but I guess that's prob not a good idea. My microwave and hood are above the stove in the middle of that section of cabinets above stove... so maybe a small one foot deep cabinet with counter top and moving the microwave over to the left would work? I'm also a little afraid of cutting off too much space in the entrance from the kitchen to dining room.. Thanks

Old 04-13-14, 04:52 PM
my transititon strip is currently one long hardwood floor plank that runs from the end of the cabinets all the way to the wall on both sides of the dining room.