Underlayment?

Old 03-29-14, 09:47 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Underlayment?

I will be installing laminate in my finished basement. Bought 12 mm laminate a pre attached pad from lumber liquidators. I was going to put down a vapor barrier then the floor. Rep at lumber liquidators said I don't need a vapor barrier I should buy the Bellawood underlayment that has a vapor barrier built in. I ask how thick is the vapor barrier and he says 6 mil. (Perfect). I asked why do I need an underlayment if it has one attched? So I bought the Bellawood underlayment. I get home and it's only a 3mil barrier on it. So I am planning on putting down a separate 6 mil VB but do I need to use the Bellawood underlayment if the laminate has a preattached pad?

Old 03-30-14, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The attached "vapor barrier" is really a cushion, since it is gapped at each board. I would use whatever the manufacturer suggests in order to maintain the warranty, as you may need it below grade. Check to see if this style is approved for below grade installation.

Old 03-30-14, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Guess I won't comment on LL. You know,"if you can't say anything good about someone, etc,"

Old 03-30-14, 08:40 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well I returned the underlayment. I told them that it only has a 3mil moisture barrier and I need a 6mil (they said oh 3mil is good enough). They had told me when they sold me the underlayment that it was 6mil but they were wrong. So I just got the 6mil poly. They tried to give me the 6mil poly for free to try n get me to keep the $600 underlayment. But like I told them why do I want to put down 2 sheets and do double the work when the flooring already has an attached pad underlayment. I only need a vapor barrier.

I have a section that is a 33 ft run. I guess according to the manufacture anything over 27ft run needs a t moulding which really stinks. I plan on doing 1/2inch expansion gaps all the way around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: