Solid Hardwood Underlayment

Old 04-11-14, 11:29 PM
Solid Hardwood Underlayment

This is my first real DIY home reno project and I will be installing solid hardwood into a previously carpeted room, which will be my new office.

According to some videos I watched, it is suggested to simply use building paper between the plywood and hardwood. However, I have also heard about placing material for moisture and sound barrier.

Right now the hardwood is being acclimated, so I'm doing as much research as I can to get this right. From your experience, what underlayment should I use or consider to go along with my solid hardwood installation?

Name:  home3.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  17.5 KB

freshDIY

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-14, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
15 lb felt is sufficient. Prepare yourself for more noise, as carpeting absorbed much of it. Very little can be done to "deaden" the sound transmitted through hardwood.

Old 04-12-14, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
For a nail down floor, you don't want underlayments designed for laminate or engineered floating floors. 15# felt is probably the most affordable and only thing I use.

Based on the picture, you should remove all staples from the floor. Screw down all the plywood and make sure you are "squeak free" before starting the hardwood (use deck screws). Remove the baseboard moldings and under cut the door casing and jambs. The direction of the flooring should be across or perpendicular to the floor joists.