Unique closet step issue - How to cover a drywall step leading to laminate?

Old 04-15-14, 06:50 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unique closet step issue - How to cover a drywall step leading to laminate?

All,

A unique issue I have right now when remodeling a bedroom. The previous owner had someone come in and cut into the adjoining attic space to put in closets in this room, there are 3 total. The closets are raised abut 13 inches off the floor because of the ceiling height in the room below this space. He had a long step running alongside the entry to these closets that he had carpeted which I hated the look of it and it also inhibits the use of the wall space between the closets; therefore, I removed that step, it is noted in the picture.

These closets will get bifold doors painted white and a dark hardwood colored laminate flooring. My dilemma right now is when the laminate flooring is installed the top of the drywall will be visible and needs to be covered up with some kind of a lip, my only issues is how to do that and what to use?

I have thought of putting in a stairnose; but, from what I have seen the laminate stair noses have the sides unfinished which would be open to the room and not look good. My other thought was to take a piece of wood and somehow modify it to make a nice rounded lip somehow; but, that seems like a good amount of work and may end up being too high above the surface of the subflloor since laminate itself is not very thick.

I'm hoping someone has some thoughts or faced something similar? I'm wondering if there is a product I could buy. The trim in the room will be white, so I can paint whatever will be put in as white as well and that will match good.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  21.7 KB

Old 04-15-14, 09:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
So you don't intend to have a step

I'd install a tread [maybe not as wide as before] about the width of the opening plus the casing. The risers can either be stained or painted.

Old 07-07-14, 11:59 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks MarkSR!

You led me to find something that worked perfectly. I purchased a one piece Oak retro stair tread from Lowes that I was able to stain which gave good color all around.

I used an oscillating multi-tool and jigsaw to cut inwards on the bullnose so that the bullnose would stick out past the width of the door frame masking the imperfections in the the drywall.

Here's a pic of the result, hoping this helps anyone that ends up in similar situation. (Just a note, I still have some touch up painting to do!)

Name:  cubbies.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  23.3 KB

Old 07-07-14, 01:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Looks good thanks for the update

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: