Floor Refinishing/painting trim

Old 04-21-14, 04:47 AM
Floor Refinishing/painting trim

Hi All!

First, let me say that I am a long time lurker, but first time poster. My husband and I purchased a 1920s fixer in less than stellar condition last September. We frequented these forums for the past few months! Thanks for all the advice and information, it saved us a ton of headaches.

We are finally at the point where all work is cosmetic, and just had the floors refinished (hired someone to save on time as it is over 2000 square feet of floor). We are finishing paint in 3 rooms, and were wondering about baseboards. They were initially painted a *fabulous* shade of pea green, which we are changing to a white semi gloss. We have primed over the paint, but have not yet applied the semi gloss. In one of those classic new homeowner "oh no" moments, we just realized that we probably shouldn't put painter's tape on our newly refinished floor just yet. How long should we wait before we tape off the floor to protect from paint stains along the baseboards?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-14, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome! I wouldn't use tape! It's very easy to get a false sense of security with tape. Paint can and will seep under the tape IMO it's better to take your time, use a good brush and keep a rag handy to wipe up any errant paint. You can wrap your putty knife up in a rag if you need to wipe close to the baseboard.