Laminate flooring squeaking and creaking really bad...

Old 04-01-14, 12:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate flooring squeaking and creaking really bad...

Hey guys

I bought a new construction townhouse about 3 years ago and did a bunch of "upgrades" myself rather then have the builder do them because of the cost savings. First thing I did was install new pergo laminate floating flooring.

This was my first every house DIY project. The flooring came out great, as professional looking as can be. I installed all new baseboard everything has been great up until now.

The problem I have run into is I noticed the flooring board seams are opening and closing during winter/summer. They are also EXTREMELY creaky and squeaky now. I did some research and I found out the problem I believe.

I made the rookie mistake of when I installed the quarter round moulding onto the baseboard. I shot the brad nails downward into flooring which pierced the laminate flooring into the subfloor.

Its been about 3 years and today I decided to try and fix by pulling all the quarter rounds off. I've gotten all the quarter rounds off however the flooring is still extremely squeaky whenever I walk. Is the flooring ruined or does the floors need time to relax and settle?

Any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated. I am going to caulk the quarter round this time to the baseboard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29290[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-14, 03:58 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Did you leave a gap around the perimeter under the shoe, or is it tight to the baseboard? How tight are the transitions under the doors? What is the longest run without transition? How level is the subfloor?

First determine why the floor is "squeaky". Movement would cause the noise and excessive movement over time may have compromised the click lock mechanism. It also has been an extreme winter for cold which would have an effect on expansion and contraction. Give us some more detail and we see if we can figure out your situation.

Old 04-01-14, 04:07 PM
S
I left pretty decent gaps all around. Large enough that I needed baseboard and a large quarter moulding to cover the edges against the walls.

The subfloor was pretty level. Brand new construction no major issues with that. Any "squeaks" I put tons of screws into subfloor into the I beams before laying the flooring.

The area that is the worse is about a 20' wide run. When I apply pressure standing on it I can make the floor go down slightly creating the squeak. I'm assuming the flooring is buckled slighty?

I'm wondering if because of the fact the flooring couldn't expand because it was tacked down on the edges from the 1/4 moulding that the floor buckled slightly?

I'm hoping that when its get hot that the floor will "relax" now that I removed all the brads piercing the laminate to the subfloor.

Old 04-01-14, 04:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you can stand it, leave the base molding and the shoe off for a while. It will give the floor a chance to re-aclimate. Are you positive that you removed all the brads and that none broke off and are still holding the flooring? Laminate quarter round is not known for its great holding properties. Most likely the brads stuck fast to the floor and the molding pulled off leaving the nail in the floor.

When you reattach the shoe, shoot it into the base, don't glue it up or caulk it up.

Old 04-27-14, 04:43 AM
S
Has anyone tested the new "floor drug" CreakCrack för sqeaky floors?

I just came across what is called a "floor drug". It seems to be a white powder. It is, however, not what you may think it is and what the witty name indicates. It is said to be some kind of inorganic substance with a lubricating effect.

I found it at www.creakcrack.com

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-14, 05:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It's called talcum powder, and can be bought at your local drug store. It will help creaks at joints, but I would not do it now. Do as Z says and give things time to settle out and check for those broken nails. 20' is a long span for laminate without a transition. I would check the manufacturer's paperwork and see how long a span it can take without one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: