Changing floor height?

Old 04-21-14, 12:07 PM
Changing floor height?

I need to raise the height of the floor in one room to match the height of a tiled floor adjacent to it. I would then lay laminate across the entire area. I need to raise the floor 1in. and am thinking of using 2 layers of 1/2in OSB. What concerns me is the additional weight to the floor joist.

Thanks
Patrick

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-14, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What concerns me is the additional weight to the floor joist.
The weight of two layers of 1/2" OSB will have no effect on the floor joists unless they are undersized, or spaced too far apart. That the weight will be spread out over the entire floor.

Old 04-21-14, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Also, you don't generally HAVE to have floors match at the same level. No house with various kinds of flooring will have all levels of floor the same. Beveled transitions are used to ease the transition from one room to the next. So don't feel like you have to lay 2 layers on the floor, you might only want to lay one layer of OSB to make the beveled transition a little less steep.

Old 04-24-14, 02:02 PM
At the risk of hijacking the thread, I too have a changing floor height question. I am going from a kitchen to a dining room with engineered wood veneer click lock. The difference in levels is about 1/16" - 1/32" . Should I use a floor leveler at the junction to feather out the difference ?