Wood filler problem? Advice welcome!

Old 04-23-14, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Wood filler problem? Advice welcome!

I had a small spot of wood flooring come up and rip a piece of my sock off yesterday. So, I gave my landlord a call and they sent a repair guy who ripped up the offending inch-long splinter, puts some packing tape down to seal it up and says he'll be back tomorrow. Well, they return at 9am and grab my kitchen knives and start prying up any loose wood, effectively growing the new sub-floor gap from 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch to about 1/2 inch x 2 inches. They applied a wood filler with a putty knife and return in 2.5 hours. One guy comes in and wipes up the residue around the hole with a damp sponge and starts laying some lacker right on there. He says it will take about 30 minutes to dry and we'll be all set. This is what it looks like now:

Name:  IMG_3393.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  40.2 KBName:  IMG_3395.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  25.3 KB

The putty is still malleable to the touch 2hrs later, there's a crack forming, and it looks pretty awful. The kitchen knives should have been my first clue...

How do I fix this mess?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
I think the key word you used there is "landlord". Its his problem, not yours, so I would advise you to keep your mitts off.

Old 04-23-14, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Get your landlord to sign the pictures acknowledging his workers did it. That way when you move out he can't claim it is your fault and charge you.

Old 04-23-14, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Did they use your kitchen knives with your permission/knowledge?

I agree it looks like crap but as the others have said it's the landlord's baby. I would make a point to make sure he knows what the repair looks like! If he won't/can't come out in person - email him the pic you showed us.

Old 04-24-14, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That would be the last job they did for me if I was the landlord.
Looks like poop.
The proper way would have been to cut out and remove the damaged board and replace.

Old 04-24-14, 05:40 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
By all means as others have noted, protect yourself with dated photos and certified letters. At time of moving a landlord can get you for the cost of a new floor.

However, since your landlord responed quickly I suspect he is OK and does not realize the poor workmanship he had hired. I'm betting he will fire them and have tyhat fixed properly.

Old 04-24-14, 05:49 AM
Not to continue the dog piling on the guys who 'fixed' this, but that's a pretty shockingly terrible repair job.

I absolutely can't believe they used your kitchen knives to pry up the bad wood. If caught on video, this could have made a youtube sensation.