How to handle gaps between floor and wall trim.

Old 04-26-14, 11:45 AM
How to handle gaps between floor and wall trim.

How do I fix gaps between the floor and the door facings? We are in the process of refinishing the floor in our bedroom. It looks like this room and the one beside it was one large space and when the prvious owners remodled they cut out the flooring to divide the space into two rooms. In the process, they cut out the floor to accomodate the wall between. I'm not even sure that they needed to to this, couldn't they have just nailedthe wall down onto the floor?

Anyway they cut out for the wall and in the process cut away too much. As it is there is at least a " gap between the flooring and trim, not wall, but baseboard and door facing. In some places it looks like they intentionaly cut the floor boards back farther than in other areas just to make sure there was a large gap. I've attached photos showing these gaps. What is the best way to handle this?

Thanks for any help!!

Linda

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-14, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Along the base you can install shoe mold [1/2" wide] or quarter round [3/4" wide] but next to the casing there isn't a whole lot you can do other than add flooring to fill the gap. Preferably you'd remove a piece or two and replace it with one that fits although you could just fill it in with wood and hope nobody looks too close.

Old 04-26-14, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is no easy way to fix that mess.
No way is adding 1/4 round going to cover up that huge gap between the end of the flooring and the base.
To make it 100% would require a whole new floor or at least removing all those short pieces and installing new.
And getting rid of that 70's ranch style moulding that's all dented would also help.

Old 04-29-14, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys for your response. The " quarter round will cover the gaps everywhere except in front of the door facings as mentioned before. The baseboard was installed above the carpet so the gap actually looks wider in the pictures than it really is. As there is no way we can afford to replace the whole floor I guess I'll have to do some patching. I had to do it on the other side of the one wall. I was hoping for an easy fix though knew there wasn't any. I guess I just needed to vent.

And yes Joecaption1, I know the trim is dated and in bad shape in some areas. but thank you for pointing it out. Perhaps you could give us some suggestions for reasonable priced upgrades.

Anyway thanks for your response,
Linda

Old 04-29-14, 08:15 AM
Any home center sells contractor bundles of primed casing.
To get the base to stick out further from the wall you could use 1 X 6's with base cap moulding instead of the standard 1/2 thick base you have now.
With the casing and base off you could piece in a new piece of flooring to fix the floor in that second picture.

Old 04-29-14, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
..... and if you need to stick with your original woodwork, you can putty or spackle up the dings to hide the damage.

Old 04-29-14, 10:51 AM
You could use fluted molding with plinth blocks and rosettes to fill the space and give it a stately look.