Which flooring for whole-house (including kitchen)?

Old 05-04-14, 04:59 PM
Which flooring for whole-house (including kitchen)?

I'm closing on a 716 sq ft two bed one bath condo this month, and one of the first tasks I have is replacing the flooring in every room. There's currently some sort of wood in the kitchen (probably laminate?), and carpet in the living room, bedrooms, and hall.

I'm looking to replace everything except the bathroom flooring with the same wood or wood-look material, but I'm very concerned with moisture. Eventually this will be a rental unit (probably 3-5 years from now). The color I think I'll be going with is a dark dark brown or black.

I've looked at strand woven bamboo, simulated wood tile (porcelain and ceramic), and vinyl plank, but I'm really not sure which would best suit my needs. I went to six different flooring places and most told me something different. I was pretty convinced bamboo was the way to go, but the color I'm looking at can't be refinished, and the moisture still concerns me. I like the idea of tile for the durability, not sure of the drawbacks.

I'd like to keep this under $5-$6 per foot, installed, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 07:00 PM
Anyone have any input at all?

Old 05-07-14, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I would install 3/4" hardwood or bamboo everywhere except the kitchen. Wood and water just aren't friends. I like the wood look tiles that are out now. It is sturdy and really gives the wood appearance. That or standard 12 x 12" tile for the kitchen. Most prefinished hardwoods will carry a 20+ year wear warranty. Laminate is cheap, and you get what you pay for.

Old 05-07-14, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
If you're not overly concerned about the design, ceramic tile can be picked up and installed pretty cheaply - we bought a pallet and a half on closeout a couple years ago for 50 a square foot and install it ourselves so the cost is way under your $5 - $6.