What mm laminate to install in a rental unit?

Old 05-05-14, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What mm laminate to install in a rental unit?

I have a rental unit that I am looking to install laminate in. There is a concrete subfloor that it is going over. I am looking at Mohawk brand. Does it make a difference with regards to the mm 7mm vs 12mm? Do you think a 7 or 8mm would be sufficient for a rental? The AC rating is a 3. Also, would you recommend using 6mm vapor barrier and also a underlayment for say just in case sake? Any feedback and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I can't advise you on specifics, but I can tell you what some of our landlord and contractor types are going to say. Don't do laminate...period.

There are many reasons for this, esp in rentals. Wear, replacement costs, initial price, etc.

Many will tell you tile or engineered wood flooring..or even sheet vinyl due to the above issues.

Lets be clear...you do mean the pressed wood stuff with a picture of wood applied to the top, then some sort of wear layer?

Will this be throughout the home? Kitchen, bath, laundry?

Old 05-05-14, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
We never had any wood or wood-looking products in our units but we starting replacing vinyl with ceramic about 10 years ago and have not looked back.