Stain isn't drying

Old 05-05-14, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain isn't drying

i understand you frustration..i am having a similar problem..i mix the stain and poly in one..for one application..i applied the first coat.. its taking long to dry but its drying..i need to know if i Can Stop and not apply the second coat ..can i just apply the stain then apply poly instead of doing it all in one..??..i did it 10 hrs ago..yours is 1week.. so I think you might have to sand..and do it all over again since its Not drying ..sorry to say so

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 12:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
Welcome to the forums nanagordon!

At what ratio did you mix the poly and stain? What [how much] have you already applied the stain/poly mix to? How much still needs to be stained?
Usually it's best to apply the stain and then poly. I'm not fond of apply multiple coats of stain since stain is formulated to dry more by absorption than chemically.

The OP posted almost 10 yrs ago, no word on how/what he did to resolve his issues.

Old 05-05-14, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i mix 1 gallon of stain to 2/12 quart poly..Not sure if thats RIGHT..i ONLY did one coat..not sure if i should continue the the same way..or can i CHANGE??

Old 05-05-14, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
I'm not sure thinning poly that much serves any purpose [stain is mostly thinner] Where did you stop with that mixture? Using stain minus the poly will give a slightly different look but will be a lot easier to control and will dry quicker. If you change stains will the difference be noticeable?

If you are wanting to add another coat of stain, I'd sand the flooring first as the poly might affect the wood's ability to absorb more stain.