laminate flooring: to glue or not to glue

Old 05-08-14, 07:25 PM
laminate flooring: to glue or not to glue

Hello, a professional floor installer has suggested to glue laminate flooring panels with a PVA-based glue during installation of laminate in the kitchen. The glue may protect the seams from moisture penetration. The drawback is that glued panels cannot be replaced individually when damaged.

I was wondering if PVA-based glues are up to the task or silicone sealant over seams is better. And, would glues/sealants provide protection at all for Pergo XP, which is supposed to be extra durable?

Would appreciate any comment or reference. Best wishes, h.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 11:38 PM
Only use glued seams if the manufacturer recommends it to be done. If the manufacturer does recommend glued seams then use the recommended glue rather than some generic.

I would not even consider using any kind of silicone unless it was recommended by the manufacturer.

I had a high-end (Wilsonart) laminate floor installed in my living room and hall some ten years ago and it was all glued with a Wilsonart-branded glue. You MUST follow the manufacturer's instructions for a decent job.

In my case the instructions included washing off the excess glue after each plank was installed but the installer chose instead to clean it after the entire floor was laid stating that was easier. This was after I questioned him about it since I had read the instructions. The result was a huge mess of dried glue all over the floor. The installer had to come back and scrape the dried glue and even after he had spent a couple of hours doing so the floor still had smears visible if the light was just right. The flooring company then sent a Hispanic laborer who spent the better part of a day cleaning and scraping.

Remember, my flooring was a high-end product. If you are using a 99 cent/square foot (or even $1.99/square foot) product understand that with laminate you never get more than you pay for. Cheap laminate is overpriced even if you get it for free.

Old 05-09-14, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll add, too, I would never install laminate in a kitchen. You already have fears of water damage, and they will become a reality eventually.

Old 05-09-14, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
I'm with Larry, I'd be looking at a different product entirely rather than trying to figure out how to keep water from destroying the laminate.