Cutting tongue and groove flooring

Old 05-20-14, 12:41 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting tongue and groove flooring

I have six foot tongue and groove planks of bamboo that I plan on gluing down to concrete. If I cut the ends off of planks to stagger the board lengths does does that cause problems getting the ends to butt together and stay in place since the tongue has been removed?

Old 05-20-14, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is this laminate? Not sure I would glue it to any surface. It needs to float. If it is 5/8" bamboo, gluing the tongues and grooves usually suffices. In either instance it will swell and contract so it must float. You only cut the tongues and grooves off the ends at the walls. It all ties together throughout the field. If you need a shorter piece, cut the first one in the run and proceed. Take the waste you had from that cut and start the next run on the opposite wall. Keep an eye on where the seams land, as you don't want them landing together.

Old 05-20-14, 01:40 PM
G
This is 3/8" strand bamboo.

Old 05-20-14, 03:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What size is your room. I gather that the fact that the boards are so long, you are trying to minimize waste. Traditionally, as Larry mentioned, you stagger (by thirds) each starting board for each row and then you use what you cut to finish the final board on that row. Check to see what the manufacturer recommends as they will specifically call out glue down as an option in the installation instructions. Otherwise, you glue to each other or click lock and float.

Old 05-21-14, 07:50 AM
G
The room is 12.5' by 25'. Will be kitchen and breakfast area. I missed to obvious when I did not realize how easy it is to stagger the pieces and use the cut-off to finish the row or start the next row. Thanks for making that so clear.
I plan to glue the 3/8" stranded bamboo down to the concrete, however part of the original floor is sheet vinyl. I had planned to glue over this also, thinking it would be a great vapor barrier, using Bostik Best Adhesive, however now that I have erad the complete instructions for the adhesive it says to not glue hardwood to vinyl. What complicatons arise if you glue bamboo to vinyl?

Old 05-21-14, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You don't want to glue the wood to anything but itself at the tongues and grooves. Gluing it to another stratum will cause it to buckle once it starts to expand and contract. This will happen in a basement, for sure. Where you have sheet vinyl, it needs to come up. It will make a distinct demarcation where the wood cross from one plane to the other.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: