Urine Soaked Hardwood rip up or Kilz to cover with laminate

Old 05-28-14, 02:18 AM
Urine Soaked Hardwood rip up or Kilz to cover with laminate

I recently purchased a foreclosed home that has massive urine damage to the hardwood. I knew when I purchased that they would not be salvageable. I intend to put down laminate floors. My only concern is the smell. I scuff sanded the floors to prime but I want to know that the urine smell will not stick around.

I have been told by a number of professionals two different options one is to rip up the hardwood and put down new plywood and then the laminate on top.

The other is to keep the hardwood intact and use a pet urine odor neutralizer on it and then to use an oil based Kilz and lay the laminate on top.

There are a few spots that have become greasy since the last few days have been hot and humid which further confirms to me that this is all the way through the existing hardwood. I am trying to stay on my budget (Kilz) but I want to make sure that the house doesn't have a pet urine smell linger.

Thanks.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-14, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

If it was plywood, I wouldn't hesitate to just seal it. You must use a solvent based primer! Oil base Kilz should work, Zinnser's BIN is better. Since the hardwood is little strips that could continue to expand/contract I'd be inclined to play it safe and rip it up. It's possible the plywood under the hardwood would need to be sealed.

Old 05-28-14, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
I would go the belt and suspenders route. Use an enzyme pet urine smell treatment until you are satisfied you've gotten the smell then top coat with an oil based stain blocking primer like Kilz.