Help (Douglas Fir hardwood flooring)

Old 06-05-14, 12:47 PM
Help (Douglas Fir hardwood flooring)

For the past few weeks I have been working on our old Douglas Fir hardwood flooring in our ¾ story upstairs (our bedroom). A few days ago I applied a coat of minwax sand sealer as directed (with a 4 inch brush). I assumed that it was applied evenly so after the required dry time I applied a coat of stain…BAD IDEA. I clearly did not apply the sand sealer evenly because there are light and dark areas (including brush strokes) from where I clearly did not apply the sand sealer evenly.

I am no looking for a little guidance. If I apply a second coat of stain to the large areas that are lighter (due to sand sealer), will they darken up? I know the room is going to look FAR from perfect but at this point I am just trying to cut my loses. If that won’t work I am tempted to just begin applying my coats of polyurethane and buy a few large rugs.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am feely extremely deflated. -

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-05-14 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Link removed
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-14, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll probably need to resand the floor The only type of sealer that is ever needed under stain is a wood conditioner. I have made my own conditioner by cutting sanding sealer in half with thinner. Adding more stain at this time is just asking for more problems.