laminate over Parquet?

Old 06-13-14, 06:12 AM
laminate over Parquet?

Hello.
I want to lay some laminate flooring over existing Parquet.
This is on the ground floor on the concrete slab. The Parquet is built up on top of 2" rigid foam with 1/2 " cement board and 1/4 " plywood.

I do not want to lift the entire floor due to time and money constraints. Will this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-14, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Why would you want to cover nice wood with a picture of wood?

Also, I don't understand the line about lifting the floor - can you explain what you mean?

Old 06-13-14, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Mitch. Why can't you refinish the parquet? Laminate is the lowest of low as far as floor coverings, and you must install an underlayment as prescribed by the manufacturer. HOWEVER, I would have problems with the sandwich you have presently. I have never seen it stacked as you have it. Was this a professional installation?

Old 06-13-14, 03:32 PM
The house is.about 40 yrs old. I have no idea if it was a professional installation I just bought the house last year. This floor supports a pool table so I was thinking that's why the cement board was there. Personally I don't like the look of Parquet. Also I finished some renos and couldn't find any Parquet to match what I have. I needed to add 30 sq ft.
What i meant by lifting the floor was i did not want to remove the rigid foam cement board and the Parquet to start fresh.

Old 06-13-14, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Laminate's not a good choice for something heavy on it like a pool table - it needs to float and the pool table tends to inhibit that.

Have you looked into engineered wood flooring?