Hairpin staple removal

Old 06-14-14, 07:00 AM
Hairpin staple removal

I am removing carpeting to have our hardwood floors refinished and the carpet tack strips have hairpin staples in them - lots and lots of them. I've tried pulling them out with pliers and they just break off leaving sharp pieces still in the floor. I've tried prying them out with a screwdriver and they just break in half leaving sharp pieces still in the floor... Is there a magic tool or method that will help remove these little pieces of evil from my floors? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I am understanding you have carpet on top of good hardwood flooring. Oh, why does it happen ? You have your work cut out for you to say the least. Hardwood will hold the staples like a momma holding a baby. We just finished about 1000 sf but the carpet was on plywood so we used a tool similar to what you see below on the link. It may scratch your hardwood, but if you hit the staple squarely on its side hitting both legs at the same time, it may help to get them out easier. This tool saves about 3 hours of plier pickin time.

QEP 7 in. Wide Floor Tear-Out Scraper-75006Q at The Home Depot