Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Black Stains/Adhesive While Finishing Wood Floors -- Options Removal / Coatings?

Black Stains/Adhesive While Finishing Wood Floors -- Options Removal / Coatings?

Old 06-22-14, 12:07 PM

Hi, I just refinished my wood floors. A couple had surprises hiding under old paint.

In the 1st attached photo, there is a black stain, perhaps part of a past adhesive or something. Sanding down further into it slowly removes it but it seems to have penetrated the wood. I don't think I'll be able to remove that. Any suggestions of what to coat this floor with?

In the 2nd photo there is more of a black tar-like substance, presumably an old adhesive. This I found in two rooms, in one case below paint. It is scrapable and I have tried an adhesive remover on it. However, in either case, I can't get out 100% and the sanders just kind of spread it around a little bit. So, while the large streak in this photo is 80% gone and the boards with small streaks of black are now less so, there is still are faint black streaks throughout two rooms. I'm assuming if I coat it with poly, the blackness with be pronounced? Any suggestions for coatings / further removal?

Thanks!

Name:  DSC09568_Shrunk.jpg
Views: 4628
Size:  32.3 KBName:  DSC09572_Shrunk.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  37.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-14, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An adhesive should scrape/sand off, water stains are more apt to go deep into the wood and need to be bleached out with a wood bleach [not household bleach]

A dark stain will make the black marks less noticeable but a light stain or just poly will make them stand out more.

Old 06-23-14, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
Wood bleach would be my thought as well.