Pergo vs Wilsonart or is there a better brand to use?

Old 03-12-01, 10:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We want to replace the flooring in our kitchen. We believe a laminate flooring is best for the price and maintance. We are trying to figure out the best brand to use. We have a large dog and are afraid real hardwood would be too costly and dificult to maintain. Does anyone like/use one brand over the other? Is there a better brand to use? What was it like to install? How well has it worn? What is maintance like? Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-12-01, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shay,
A dozen or so brands come to mind, since I'm about to do our kitchen also. Research, Research, and more of the same. I've decided against any clik together laminates as I believe these will be less waterproof. I'm going to do the floating type as opposed to nail down. One I like so far is Pickering, made in USA and lifetime warranty. Of course, with most newer mfg we don't have much positive or negative feedback yet. Most all maintenance is similar, use of slightly damp mop only, along with the mfg special cleaner-(sure). I have heard, not experienced, the Pergo has a tendancy to edge-chip, mainly in packing and installing. Don't know if any chipping will occur after installation. I recently saw Shaw laminates at a local flooring store, looked nice -1 by 4 foot sections. But then I read one negative warranty problem. Let's wait for more responses and see.

Old 03-13-01, 10:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Well, I've just done about 2 months worth of research and decided to go with Mannington. I would have easily chosen WilsonArt or Pickering as well. The feedback I received on Pergo was not as favorable. The next time you're in a flooring store compare the "look" of the inner board density. Pergo has a particle board "look" to it. The others have a much finer, compressed "look", which tells me they are a much denser product. My research confirmed this as well. My ranking (my opinion) would be:

1. WilsonArt
2. Mannington or Pickering
3. Formica

We went with Mannington because we liked their Natural Austrailian Cypress, and felt their 15 yr warranty was a good one.

Old 03-17-01, 02:01 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
The Glueless products (most) are made with a melamine resin that is as moistureproof as as a glued floor after installation. The Uniclic patent (there are several brands) seals joints very tightly. Some have *lifetime* warrantees that include moisture. For the do it your selfer or pro installer the glueless gos down faster, easier, and with less clean up later. Don't sell glueless short.

Old 03-17-01, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AZfred,
There is positively no way a clik-together can be nearly as waterproof as glue together. Properly glued wood joints in many instances are stronger than the wood itself, and the glue is waterproof. I would have to see test results to believe it will hold out water such as a dishwasher or toilet leak.

Old 03-17-01, 08:54 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
If you have a dishwasher or toilet leak, the flooring, Glue or gluelees, may fail. The leaks you you discribe are NOT topical water and you will have to contact you insurance carrier for a settlement based on the written warrantee of every brand you mention. The warrantee specificaly excludes dishwasher leaks! In fact the warrantee warns that leaks must be "cured" prior to installation. Hardwood is no better and no less subject to damage from flooding. Water and/or moisture problems are absolutely equal for glue or glueless installations. It's in writting in every single sellers warrantee statement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: