advice installing subfloor and prefinished hardwood over cement floor

Old 06-26-14, 01:25 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
advice installing subfloor and prefinished hardwood over cement floor

hey all,

I need some advice on how to best install a subfloor and hardwood floor. I'm moving into a condominium that has concrete floors. it's above grade (my unit is on the third floor). the living room already has hardwood but the bedrooms have laminate that I want to replace. I've never done flooring myself before so I have a few questions. I'm planning on installing bruce prefinished 3-1/4in x 3/4in flooring.

- is something like the Roberts 6 mil polyethylene moisturebarricade (from hd) adequate for a moisture barrier? since I'm not at or below grade, so I'm expecting the floor to be pretty dry.

- what is the thinnest plywood I can use for subflooring? I've seen one website recommend 3/4", but most places just say install plywood, and don't recommend a thickness. I'd like to use the thinnest possible (my ceilings are only 8 foot so I want to lose as little height as possible. I'm not worried about doors/moldings/etc, i'll be replacing those anyway)

- what is the best way to attach the plywood? using a ramset? tapcon screws? the ramset seems better but my only concern is the nails not being driven flush into the plywood, thus leaving a surface that's not perfectly smooth under the hardwood flooring. (those are the only two options I'm really familiar with, I'm sure there are others)

I'm sorry if these questions are covered in other posts but I wasn't able to find them.

thanks in advance for any advice!

-nik

Old 06-26-14, 02:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Remove the laminate and look into purchasing 3/4" engineered flooring. Looks like solid hardwood but is more stable. Can be floated over your existing concrete with appropriate underlayment/cushion. Can be click lock or glue together (not glue down). You don't need to mess with a subfloor.

Old 06-27-14, 07:46 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
czizzi, thanks for the suggestion. i've looked at the advantages/disadvantages of both and I'd prefer solid hardwood for several reasons. I know it's doable because it was already done in part of the apartment. any advice in installing the subfloor would be appreciated.

thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: