hardwood floor installation - reversing directions

Old 07-18-14, 04:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hardwood floor installation - reversing directions

Hello,

For those who had read my first thread, I resolved my floor joist situation. I didn't even need to sister the joists. I removed all the old flooring down to the original sub-flooring, and used a framing nailer to tack them properly to the joists. I then lay a 5/8'' plywood which I glued and screwed down. Solid as rock, and barely 1/8'' difference every 8'.

Now my question is, is it possible to install hardwood floors going in two directions? What I want to do is start on the wall that separates the kitchen from the living room, and lay the floor towards the front of the house, and then start from the first line I lay down, and bring it to the back of the house. This would end up needing a strip of wood that I would put in the groove of that line, and allowing me to start going in the other direction.

Is this recommended? I want to do this so I have the straightest looking floor possible, seeing as the house is probably not perfectly square.

Old 07-18-14, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sure. It is called a reversing spline, sold at most flooring stores. Be sure to nail/cleat/staple through the piece of wood and spline before you lay your next piece. Otherwise you may have a pooch up of flooring which will be a bear to deal with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: