Subfloor question when laying laminate hardwood

Old 07-19-14, 07:11 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subfloor question when laying laminate hardwood

Hi all,
My house is about 4 years old and I am ready to put hardwood laminate in the whole downstairs. The kitchen is a vinyl flooring and the other 2 rooms are carpet. I was expecting to rip the carpet up and have the subfloor be basically level across the transition from carpet to vinyl. What I found was that the vinyl floor was raised by 1/4" with a particle board I'm assuming to keep the vinyl more level with the carpet. What is the easiest remedy here? I figure my options are to raise the carpet subfloor or rip out the vinyl along with the 1/4" particle board it is on. Maybe I am missing something? Any input is appreciated.

It's kind of hard to see in the photo but it's the best I could do.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-14, 12:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Assume you are talking about an engineered floating floor...

I would remove the vinyl and the 1/4" ply that is under it in the kitchen. If you are going to install a nail down engineered, then we need to verify the thickness of the existing subfloor to make sure it meets standards for nail holding power.

Old 07-19-14, 12:54 PM
W
This will be a floating laminate system. The issue I have with removing the vinyl and the 1/4" plywood it is attached to is that the kitchen island and cabinets are on top of this 1/4" plywood. I'm not sure what i would need to do there. I almost think it would be easier to lay 1/4" plywood in the carpeted areas to bring it up to the level of the vinyl floor?

Old 07-19-14, 01:30 PM
W
After some more research, my plan is to put down 1/4" OSB over the existing subfloor to raise it to the height of the vinyl and therefore give me a level surface to install the floating laminate system on. Does anyone see any issues with this?

Old 07-19-14, 03:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It usually is the flooring installer that puts down the 1/4" at the time of the install, and therefore the cabinets should not be resting on top of the 1/4". But I am not there, you are. You can test the 1/4" and see what kind material they used, sometimes you can cut through it with a utility knife. Score and snap, or rent a toe kick saw and cut it from the cabinets. Certainly would be less expensive to remove than to add.

Old 07-20-14, 10:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Not what you asked but I would not put laminate in a kitchen, it does not tolerate getting wet.

Old 07-20-14, 10:44 AM
W
Really? I'm kind of under the impression that today's laminates are ok for kitchens. I would not put them in a bathroom with shower and tub but for minimal spills in the kitchen I am told and have read that they will be ok. I also have two Labradors and a toddler in the house so I need something strong and durable. The flooring stores I have been too have told me they would recommend the laminate over hardwood or engineered hardwood for my situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: