Hardwood floor is higher than laminate, how can I transition between them.

Old 07-28-14, 11:13 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood floor is higher than laminate, how can I transition between them.

My fiancé and I are renovating our house and his father decided to help, which meant a lot of our control over the project went away. He purchased and began screwing in ¾ inch subfloors. The ½ inch hardwood floors have not been put down yet, but the subfloor is already about a ¼ inch higher than the laminate floor of our kitchen. I think the doors will still open once the hardwood floor is down, but how can we transition between the very tall hardwood floor and the lower carpet in the bedroom and the even lower laminate flooring of the kitchen? Will the regular transition pieces that came with our hardwood purchase still work? Is what I’ve described even an issue or is this how it is supposed to be?
Thank you for your help!

Old 07-28-14, 11:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Personally, I'd solve the problem by replacing the laminate in the kitchen with tile, which would bring up the height - laminate is not a good choice for a kitchen (or bathroom) as it does not handle being wet very well.

Old 07-29-14, 06:32 AM
S
Thank you for the quick reply!

Really? I actually kind of thought it was waterproof...whoops.
The house is from the 60s so we've done a lot of renovating (upgrade insulation, wood panel to drywall, etc) since the beginning of May when we moved in and we're at the end of our budget and patience as far as working with each other on this house goes. We really just want to live in it now. I know it's better to do it right than quickly, but is there a quicker, less expensive fix for it?

Old 08-06-14, 04:25 PM
S
Is it laminate or linoleum. Laminate is an engineered wood product linoleum is a vinyl product. Either way you should be able to buy a thicker 3/4 inch reducer for the kitchen and a threshold for the bedrooms. The threshold can be shimmed to match the height difference and the carpet should cover the shimmed area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: