Type III glue for my engineered wood t&g floating flooring?

Old 08-01-14, 01:28 PM
Type III glue for my engineered wood t&g floating flooring?

I'm preparing to install my floating engineered wood flooring and although the supplier suggests Titebond Tongue & Groove which is a Type II (water-resistant) glue, I'm considering using a Titebond Type III (waterproof) glue to apply to the tongue during installation. The main concern is that the flooring will be installed in the whole house including my kitchen which is where I have the concern. If the "waterproof" nature of the Type III will prevent water penetration without causing any other negative issues, I'd like to go with that.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Would prefer to not make the wrong decision. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-14, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Your floor is not click lock? I would prefer that to glue up, any day. In a nutshell, don't deviate from the manufacturer's suggestion on the glue, nor the underlayment. You have a warranty that can be voided if you don't do it right.

Old 08-01-14, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Floating floors exhibit a lot of up and down movement. The glue needs to be rated for flooring applications specific otherwise there could be failure of the bond. The wood itself would be far more apt to experience consequences of excessive moisture than the glue. That is regardless of which glue is used in the installation process.

Click lock, from Larry's perspective has advantages in the event of emergency, the floor can be peeled back, aired out, and re-assembled if caught in time. It also breathes easier as it does not have any mechanical bond and if free to expand and contract.

Old 08-02-14, 08:45 AM
Stick with the Titebond Tongue and Groove. If your floors are wet enough to loosen the glue, then they are trash anyway. For Titebond II to fail form water, it needs to be wet for a long period of time.

The other advantage of the Tongue & Groove is a 5 minute set up time vs. 25-30 with Titbond III. It also is a bit thinner and the spout comes to a point and makes application easier. In addition, Tongue & Groove is white and will dry translucent whereas Titebond III is a dark yellow and will dry that color.