Refinishing hardwood cost

Old 08-03-14, 02:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing hardwood cost

Hi all,

New here, thanks for any expertise. I recently purchased my first house in Sacramento between Land Park and midtown near Tower Cafe. I would like to pull up all carpet and have the hard wood floor refinished. When I pulled up the carpet I saw that the wood was a nice Douglas Fir and newspapers have been time capsuled from 1945 when presumably the floor was last used bare.

I was quoted at $2000 cash for resurfacing (filling gaps, sanding, and repainting) all the flooring in the house which is around 700-800 square feet.

Seems expensive to me! Should I go ahead and do that?

Has anyone successfully resurfaced themselves with no prior experience? I'm already saving money by painting myself.

Thank you,
Sean

Old 08-03-14, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Welcome to the forums Sean!

The best way to get a price check is to get multiple quotes. Always check references before hiring any contractor.

Sanding the floors correctly is harder than applying the poly. Some folks will hire out the sanding and do the finishing their self. You can rent floor sanders. A drum sander does the best job and is the quickest but it's not novice friendly as it's easy to sand off too much in spots and get an uneven surface. There are pad sanders that are more diy friendly but they require more effort.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: