Cracks in Yellow Pine Floors

Old 03-15-01, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
1. Should yellow pine flooring crack along the grain lines in the actual floorboards, themselves, as it expands and contracts during the first year or two if (a) the subflooring is properly dried, (b) the joists are properly dried, and (c) the lumber is properly dried?
2. Would using moisture-cured poly as a finishing product change the dynamics?
We have new yellow pine floors, which were installed 6 weeks after the original yellow pine flooring was flood damaged. Sub-flooring was dried to 8%-9% moisture content before installation. 60-70 of the floorboards, themeslves, 16 mths later, now have 1-8' cracks, some as wide as 3/16th" along the grain lines in the boards. Contractor claims such cracks are to be expected because it is a phenomonon of moisture-cured poly to hold 4-5 boards together, then separate at the weakest "point" (not joint!) - and that that weakest point is often along the grainlines of the boards, themselves, not BETWEEN the boards, as we expected. Thanks for all responses!

Old 03-17-01, 04:13 PM
Visiting Guest
that really sounds strange to me. i dont think what you are describing is normal at all. i would certainly find some more info before accepting that it is normal. i have never seen anything like that before and bet that it is related to the moisture in the old wood. or you got some wood that was of poor quality or improperly cured. larry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: