Concerned about asbestos, but want to do it "right"

Old 08-24-14, 10:02 AM
Question Concerned about asbestos, but want to do it "right"

I bought a home that was built in 1964. The kitchen floor is this ugly, drab white vinyl. Having discovered that there is hardwood in both adjoining rooms (living and dining room) under the awful carpets, I stripped the carpets and brought the hard woods back to life.

Now to the issue at hand: the kitchen floor. I peeled up a corner and dug down to see what was under it and a friend tells me that I am probably looking at asbestos issues. Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  39.8 KB

So, I want to do this the 'right' way so that myself - if I plan to stay a long time - or the next home owner can't say "What the heck?!" when they try to renovate.

I am a beginner at best at DIY. I have no issue putting in the work to tear this out down to the bottom if that's the right thing to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-14, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

First thing to do is to have the materials that might be asbestos tested to confirm if they are or not. If they are, then you should have it abated and removed properly. After that is completed you can continue as normal. There are many companies that do asbestos abatement and it is not a huge deal.

Old 08-24-14, 11:02 AM
I was trying to renovate my 2000sqft commercial building that was built back in 60's. It had asbestos, and to get a permit for the City, I had to get it tested and removed. I had it done during 1997, that cost me $3K. I replaced all 4 outside walls with bricks, redone all plumbing and electricals, re-insulated and replaced all inner wall with new studs, etc etc. Pretty much a new building..

Last year it caught a fire, leaving mostly ashes with little walls remaining, and had to be demolished. The City complained that I need to get asbestos tested again before demolishing, although I've explained the building had asbestos tested in '97 and had them all removed. That test cost me another $1300, just to get a piece of paper saying they didn't find any asbestos. #[email protected]$##.

You know the danger of asbestos. What stunned me was, next to my building, which has asbestos, the owner had the asbestos removed themselves, stuffed into a trash bag. This happened on Saturday morning, then on Sunday, they demolished it, not incurring the cost to remove them professionally.

Old 08-24-14, 07:18 PM
Any specific observations from this picture? Should I take the top vinyl and the wood underneath it off and leave the rest ? or take it all the way down?

Old 08-24-14, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
You appear to have two layers of vinyl which could have it. I don't recall having any asbestos in plywood but you should likely have it all tested.

$1300 sounds insanely expensive for a test! I can find tests on the internet and available at the big box stores for under $50 including the lab fee.

Old 08-24-14, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of flooring do you want to install? Some can just go over the vinyl. There is no asbestos in plywood.

Old 08-25-14, 04:36 PM
I called around, in Central Texas area, $1300 was the cheapest. They came down and took multiple samples... I think about $50 range is just a lab fee for a single sample if you send them. But to have city permit, you had to have certified people to take the sample.

Old 08-25-14, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can still install some flooring over the vinyl.

Old 08-25-14, 07:59 PM
"You can still install some flooring over the vinyl."

So take off the top layer and the plywood and put new flooring over the brown squared shaped stuff on the bottom? Does it look like there is any concern for asbestos in that top piece?

We are contemplating TrafficMaster Allure tiles. TrafficMASTER Allure 12 in. x 24 in. Sheridan Slate Vinyl Tile (24 sq. ft. / case)-51912 at The Home Depot.

Old 08-26-14, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't really see the top layer with that picture.