Repairing Bleach Damage on Laminate Flooring

Old 08-26-14, 05:51 AM
Repairing Bleach Damage on Laminate Flooring

Getting ready to move out of my apartment, and I had a bottle of bleach crack open and seep out onto the laminate floor. It was about 10 hours before we realized it, and now have a pretty serious burn about 12"x8" along with a crack that extends another 24" across about a dozen panels.

Since we are renting, I have no idea what brand of laminate floor we have. So I can't replace the boards. My first thought is to try some wood putty and a stain pen, but I would love any suggestions you all can offer. We move on Saturday, and I really need to not lose my security deposit.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-14, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 37
Sorry but you need to tell your landlord about this and take responsibility for what happened - there's not going to be a repair for this within your capability.

Old 08-26-14, 08:13 AM
That's fair - I was worried that would be the case. Do you have any idea what the cost of replacing 13 planks of laminate flooring would be? (e.g. how much of my security deposit I can expect to lose)

Old 08-26-14, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 37
It's probably going to depend on whether the landlord has extra boards available.

That said, if he tries to hit you to replace the whole floor because he cannot match it, statute may require that he pro-rate the amount. Around here, if we ding a tenant for replacing carpet, we have to base it on how many years the carpet had already been there compared to the expected life span of that carpet.