floor is different heights

Old 09-10-14, 03:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
floor is different heights

I am in process of installing laminate flooring (pergo). I am redoing my kitchen and realized that I needed to go ahead and do the family room at the same time so I can run the boards the way that I want and still be able to go from the left to right as recommended. The kitchen had a linoleum I have pulled that up and the family room has a carpet and when I pulled the corner up I quickly realized that the flooring is different heights (by about a quarter inch). what is the best way to take care of this?

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-14, 04:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Remove the 1/4" of plywood that is in the kitchen area. Typical to have this 1/4" put down to prep for linoleum. The pros here are not fond of laminate in the kitchen. Make sure you buy a couple extra boxes in case it is needed to repair a water issue. Have you looked into engineered flooring?

Old 09-10-14, 04:50 PM
B
ok I was wondering if I could do that, thank. Yeah we thought about engineered hard wood but we were afraid that our dog would ruin it (90lbs German Shepherd) and the price of engineered was more where if we did have to replace some of the pergo eventually it would be ok.

Old 09-10-14, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am one of those Z was talking about. You won't be able to pick and choose the flooring you "replace", as a great deal of flooring must be pulled up in order to replace damaged areas. In the kitchen, get ready. It is not "if", but "when".

Old 09-10-14, 05:00 PM
B
oh yea I did some research online and they say that laminate flooring could hold up to the harsh environment of the kitchen. I went with a ac4 rating. Maybe I should try to put some cement board in and do tile in the kitchen?

Old 09-10-14, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Now, you're talkin'...............................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: