Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

How To Remove Embedded Dust New Floor Installation Out of Knots and Pinholes

Old 07-02-14, 01:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I had brand new engineered floors installed in my home on June 2nd. The installation crew from the retailer I bought the floor, was not the crew I requested and the guys were inexperienced. I have concrete slab foundation and carpet was installed. They removed most of the carpet, leveled the concrete floor and completed the process of installing 1/2 of the floor. I was

The next day they repeated this process and got dust/debris from the compound mixture embedded in the new floor, which has knots and pinholes. I was told ALL of it would come off when they were done. Four days later when they were done, nearly 1/2 of my new floor was ruined by the embedded dust and debris from the sanding/buffing of the compound mixture. How do I remove this from the holes? I called a professional, certified floor cleaning company but they were not able to dig into the holes to remove this stuff?

Does anyone have any ideas? I have lots of pictures that I can attach later.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-14, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What sanding and buffing of compound? This should have been done before the first stick was laid. Contact your retailer and crawl up their corporate ladder. Pictures would be nice. Try 5 or so at first.

Old 07-02-14, 02:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Tell me you haven't paid the installers yet....

Old 07-04-14, 10:46 PM
J
Pictures

I'm not in the flooring business so I'm not familiar with the process of laying new hardwood floor. All I can tell you is that the carpet and padding was removed, concrete slab prepped for the floating process, floating compound (perhaps compound isn't the correct terminology, but again, I'm not in the flooring business) and then leveling (i.e. buffing/sanding) to make for an even surface.

Pictures are attached. Wherever you see "white", you're not supposed to - that's the embedded dust/debris (for lack of a better word) from the installation.

Yes, the installation was paid for. All of it was paid for when I purchased the floor. I created this forum in the event I'm stuck with this floor, after all legal options have been taken.

Please offer any solutions on how to remove from knot/pin holes.

Thanks!!!

Attached Images     
Old 07-05-14, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We are inquisitive by nature. If all you want to know is how to get the residue up, I would suggest a toothbrush and mild soapy water and rags.

If it were me, I'd want to know why sanding or grinding was done with the floor in place, and why precautions were not taken, AND why the job was not completed (cleaned up) in a workmanship like manner.

Old 09-16-14, 11:24 AM
J
Here are clearer images
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  27.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  23.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  22.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  21.7 KB

Old 09-16-14, 12:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As Larry said, it can be got up using a tooth brush and rag with soapy water BUT it will also require a lot of elbow grease! As a customer you shouldn't need to know all the ins/outs of floor installation - that's the installers job and part of what you pay for. With the exception of bankruptcy or disappearing I don't see any way the company you hired can get out of making it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: