Preparing subfloor for engineered wood

Old 09-27-14, 09:13 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Preparing subfloor for engineered wood

Hi - I would like to understand what needs to be done in order to prepare the subfloor I have in my apartment for a nice engineered wood flooring.

This subfloor is quite old, not level, has traces of glue on it, and I'm struggling to fully understand what I need to so.

I attached a picture here which might help understand what I'm talking about.

Ideally I want to put something on it that will protect the new floor and protect me from noise as well, and I want to correct the floor leveling so it's flat. If I just put plywood I'm worried it won't help with noise reduction. Also consider the variations in height of the subfloor, installing plywood is going to be a mess.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  39.7 KB

Old 09-27-14, 01:34 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Nail down or floating floor? Installing 3/4" Advantech or equivalent will bridge the gaps, unevenness and glue residue and provide for a smooth level surface to apply your flooring. I don't know what you expect in terms of sound deadening? Wood floors by there nature are louder that other types of flooring. There is not sound proofing. If floating, you install a sound deadening material under, but that doesn't insulate against sound, only makes walking on it quieter. Kind of like ringing a bell - on its own, you get a loud sound, but hold your hand on the bell and it dulls the sound. There still is a sound, it just doesn't resonate.

Old 09-28-14, 02:43 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi - thx for the reply. It will be a tongue and grove floor. I guess my question is what do I need to do to prepare the plank subfloor for the advantech - do I need to sand it? How do I make sure it's level or at least as flat as possible - or do I just install joists under the advantech to support where necessary? Or do I just nail the advantech down to the planks without further thought?
Once the advantech/equivalent is on - should I put in another subfloor that would be more to protect my neighbours against noise, like felt or something like that? Or should I put a felt/else before the advantech?
Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-28-14, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just how out of flat is the subflooring you have, now? If only minor, the Advantech will help make a flatter floor. You said "engineered" flooring. Will it be click lock? You must install an underlayment, and it will help with sound transmission, but as Z said, sound "proof" cannot be achieved. Adding more wood only makes the floor heavier. The first thing you will need tomdomis screw down the planks you have to the joists. When you install the advantech, screw it down intentionally missing the joists. It provides necessary slip between the layers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: