Laminate flooring installation

Old 03-18-01, 12:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am trying to install an Armstrong swiftlock laminate floor and have not found suitable tool to cut the planks, also after I get one - two rows in and the following rows cracks between the rows previously laid open up? The floor is level and I am following the installation instructions that were provided.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-07, 12:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ;148940
I am trying to install an Armstrong swiftlock laminate floor and have not found suitable tool to cut the planks, also after I get one - two rows in and the following rows cracks between the rows previously laid open up? The floor is level and I am following the installation instructions that were provided.

Any suggestions?
This reply is too late for your problem, but I am having the same problems you had with the cracks widening after a row or two. I only opened one box and am taking it all back to buy another brand. I have done several rooms with laminate wood floors in past years and not had this problem with other flooring. I would definately recommend others to not buy Armstrong Switflock.

Old 11-06-07, 08:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gaps in between boards like that occur because of 1 of 2 reasons:

1) The floor you are laying your laminate onto is not sufficiently level, causing slight bends and gaps to form

2) The 1st row is the most important. If you don't install it correctly and straight, you are likely to develop large gaps as the other rows progress.

I am almost 100% positive its not the fault of the wood. Sometimes a "level" floor seems level but in reality is slightly off. 1/8" over 8 ft is enough to create gaps in your flooring