220v Drum Sander Rental?

Old 10-19-14, 11:09 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
220v Drum Sander Rental?

Hey guys,

My contractor and I will be refinishing my hardwood floors ourselves, but don't want to use the residential grade 110 sanders. Was hoping to find a place that rents the 220 (American 8's or Hummels?) but I cannot for the life of me find a single place. I live in Washington D.C., but i'm desperate enough to travel a good bit to rent one! Shoot I'd even buy one and try to resell it after i'm done. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Old 10-20-14, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
In your opinion, what will you be gaining by using the higher voltage (240 volt) sander? Have you considered using a plate sander rather than a drum sander. Smoother work just in case either of you are not that experienced in floor sanding with a drum. Do you have a readily available 240 receptacle to supply the voltage/amperage for the unit? You most likely cannot use a dryer receptacle as it is over protected, and the plug configuration will be different.

Old 10-20-14, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I don't know what type of plug a 220 drum sander has. All the floor finishers I've worked around in new construction always hot wired their cord directly to the temporary power pole box as the supplied breakers/plug wouldn't accommodate the sander.

Do you or your contractor have much experience with a drum sander? While they are the most effective means of sanding a floor - they are not forgiving. I've seen more than one floor ruined by an inept sanding job! A pad or plate sander while slower - is a lot more forgiving.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: