7 MM laminate transitions to tile and around patio door

Old 10-31-14, 03:50 AM
Question 7 MM laminate transitions to tile and around patio door

I am starting to prepare to put down 450 sq ft of 7MM flooring. I have a back room with a patio door that has an aluminum frame. The subfloor is all concrete.
I can't use a T molding around the door frame as the floor is higher than the metal. How do I attach a reducer to the concrete?
Also, there is a slight difference between the tile and laminate in height. Should I use a reducer or T Molding? Can I put something under the laminate as a slight shim to increase the height or would this cause the flooring to break?

Also, the length of the trim is too short around the tile so I would have to use two pieces. How do I connect them? Do I just glue them together like | or do I need to cut on a 45 degree angle ?

Are there any other alternatives to these transitions with laminate flooring? The trims are not well made although they sell with the flooring. I would really prefer wood and just stain it darker to match.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-14, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! If this is slab on grade, or below grade, make sure of the moisture content of the concrete before you install laminate. I am not a fan of laminate to begin with, but people install it, so I'll offer advice. You need to leave 1/2" of exposure on all edges and at your transition to the tile for expansion. In doing this your transition piece will need to be made to the height of the tile with an overlay onto the laminate to allow for the expansion of the mdf. I am like you in that I don't like the cheesy transitions sold at the flooring stores or boxes. I make my own with the profile needed for the job. If you don't have the tools to do it with, you may need to enlist the help of someone who has them and will help design your transition.

Don't laugh at my paint figure, but this is an example. Fastening it to the concrete could be problematic, although I have had success with PL8x adhesive with books or blocks stacked on top until it cures.
Name:  transition.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  5.3 KB