How much weight can be placed on a floating or glued engineered wood floor?

Old 11-04-14, 06:35 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much weight can be placed on a floating or glued engineered wood floor?

We have purchased an engineered wood flooring that is 5/8”(9 layer construction) by 7” wide. We will be installing it in our basement over the existing concrete. We haven’t decided if we will glue or float the flooring. One of my concerns is that we have an 8’ pool table which is quite heavy (guessing between 700-900 pounds) that we plan to place on top of the flooring. I’ve read various posts about possible buckling or separation of the planks. Does anyone know if this is too much weight to place on an engineered floor? And is there a better method (glue down or float) considering the weight?

Old 11-05-14, 05:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I usually recommend against engineered or laminate flooring where a pool table will be placed. They are heavy enough in 4 places to cause the flooring to not expand and contract normally. Your engineered 5/8" floating MAY work, but a quick check with the manufacturer may give better insight on it.

Old 11-07-14, 09:02 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I have been in contact with the manufacturer and while there is some concern for potential buckling, given the area of our floors (which is a relatively small space) they are not as concerned, it tends to become a bigger problem in larger areas. My thought is to turn our humidifier up slightly for a few weeks prior to installation to acclimate the planks to a humidity level similar to summer causing them to expand prior to installation.

Old 11-07-14, 03:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Having four legs, the weight of the table will be evenly split resulting in 200 lbs or so per each leg on the flooring. I would not recommend glue to concrete in a basement as the moisture and contact with the cement is not recommended. I would float it. Have you performed a moisture test? You have already indicated a high humidity situation. Is the humidity coming from the floor or the walls?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: