how to repair termite-damaged floors

Old 11-06-14, 07:26 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to repair termite-damaged floors

We bought a bungalow in Florida this year that came with some termite damage to walls and floor. The walls I've taken care of, now it's the solid wood floor's turn.

Knowing that I was going to sand back the floors, the home inspector we used suggested I keep some of the sawdust aside, mix it with some epoxy, and fill the damaged areas with the mix. He said that aside from the missing grain pattern it would blend in much better than any wood filler I could use.

has anyone used this method before, and if so recommend an appropriate epoxy, and also a rough approximation of how much sawdust I should mix together with the epoxy?

Thanks

Old 11-06-14, 08:38 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simply not going to happen, patched like that there going to stick out like a sore thumb.
Pictures would be nice.
The right way to cut out and replace the damaged sections and refinish the floors.
You did get real exterminator to treat the house, right?

Old 11-07-14, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
How much damage is there to the floor? saw dust and glue can be mixed together as a paste to fill minor defects in the wood but there is a limit on how much you can fill using that method and not have it look unsightly.

Old 11-07-14, 07:21 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Mark. No, they are just minor defects thankfully. The worst stuff was cut out and replaced. Did the same with the solid wood paneling on the walls. So as with the original question, any suggestions on the appropriate mix and type of epoxy?

Last edited by stickshift; 11-07-14 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comments
Old 11-07-14, 07:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
IMO it's easier to use an oak paste [not sure of the correct name ] it's available most anywhere hardwood supplies are sold. You just smear it on, let it dry and sand leaving the paste only in the holes/cracks. With sawdust you just mix in wood glue to make a paste.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: