Hardwood Against Entryway Door

Old 11-09-14, 07:07 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Against Entryway Door

Hello,

I have a quick and hopefully relatively easy question.

I'm currently installing 3/4 Solid Hardwood in my family room which has a fiberglass entry door out to our deck. I have left space all along the walls to allow for expansion, but what about the door? Butting it up doesn't seem correct because it will allow no play, but I can't seem to find any trim that would work either. If I use shoemold as an example the rubber weatherstrip on the bottom of the door will catch.

Thanks!

P.S. The grain of the wood runs the length of the room(parallel) to the door.

Old 11-09-14, 07:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Luckily full size hardwood won't expand and contract as much as laminates or other flooring lacking in thickness as yours has. I have used screen molding laid flat, stained to match the wood in gaps across door openings. I usually hot glue it down or use a good adhesive such as PL8X to keep it in place. How wide is your gap? You can post pictures of the area, and it will allow us to see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-09-14, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,419 Posts
If a base shoe moulding catches as the door opens, you're going to have a hard time laying any sort of rug or floor mat down there. The door should really be installed higher. But yes, a screen moulding would probably work to cover a small gap.

Old 11-09-14, 08:14 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply! Right now I have any amount of play as it's the last few rip cuts. So I could hypothetically butt it right up, or, leave a gap etc. When I got to this point I took a step back and figured it may be best to ask before I make a mistake.

Pictures will be hard to come by, just sold my camera and have not yet bought the new DSLR I had my eyes on.

Old 11-09-14, 09:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just for look's sake, I would cut the rip as close as possible, leaving a little gap, then use a color coordinated caulk (usually a dark brown will work) to fill the gap, wiping it with a wet sponge to remove excess. If your flooring was acclimated to your room for 72 hours and the temperature wont change much, you should have minimal expansion or contraction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: