Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Hanging/sliding closet doors above tee-mold. How do I install the plastic guide?

Hanging/sliding closet doors above tee-mold. How do I install the plastic guide?

Old 11-15-14, 10:51 AM

I recently installed laminate floor in two small bedrooms. What I have not yet tackled, is installing the tee-mold that transitions between the closet (carpet) and the room (laminate). The transition is in the middle of the entry way.

The reason is I am unsure how to install the lower plastic door guide that prevents the hanging doors from swinging (picture below for clarity)

There was a 1/2" piece of MDF glued to the concrete slab, under the carpet, which this was screwed into previously. I can do the same on the carpet side, but it's not clear how I should handle the laminate side.

Any tips? Thank you for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-14, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome!

Instructions for laminate floors state nothing should be screwed down into it. But this is intended to mean very heavy or permanent objects that will prevent floor from expanding and contracting. I don't think this simple guide will harm anything.
Your problem may be finding a screw that will hold in what may be thin laminate. Drill a small pilot hole and use a short screw with course threads.

Old 11-15-14, 03:37 PM
Thanks, handyman.

I believe my laminate is only 5 mil thick so I am a bit worried, but then again no one should be kicking it off

Rather than bend the guide over the top of the tee mold, I'm planning to cut it in two so that it splits them. Is this a bad idea? I think it would look more finished.

As for expansion, I live in the desert where we get very little moisture/humidity. I did leave an expansion gap but I dont think its as big of a deal where I live.

Thanks again