Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Is this asbestos? Removed new vinyl and 1/4 plywood, and this was between plywoo

Is this asbestos? Removed new vinyl and 1/4 plywood, and this was between plywoo

Old 11-28-14, 04:55 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a house from 1940 that was remodeled by the bank. I think the put new vinyl down, because it looked pretty good. We removed the vynal and the plywood (1/4th inch) that was there bc we knew there were wooden floors underneath. However, between the plywood, which looked new, and the wooden floor (3.5 inch red oak) there was a brown/blackish material. When i hit it with a chisel it sounded kinda metally almost. I scraped some off and put it in the bag, it became fluffier when scraped. Underneath the black stuff was the wooden floor.
Now, thinking this might be asbestos cutback? (i dont understand why they would put this on the wooden floor!) we covered the spot back up with the plywood and vinyl, ductaped the seams and pushed the fridge back over it.
1) is this asbestos?
2) do i need to get this professionally removed
3) Do i need to write up my will earlier than expected?

http://imgur.com/a/GuwQc

Old 11-28-14, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Only way to be sure is to have it tested.

Old 11-28-14, 08:00 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Always good to have a Will as you never know what may happen in the next minute. That stated, you are not going to die as a result of any brief exposure to asbestos that MIGHT have happened on this job. As Sam states, you have to have the material tested to KNOW if it is asbestos or some other material. Utterly impossible to KNOW by merely looking at it.

Old 11-28-14, 08:18 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the total plan for this floor?
99% of the time there's a reason why that wood floor got covered up in the past.
More often then not it's just not time or cost effective to try and refinish it.

Old 11-28-14, 09:43 PM
B
Ive learned from experience that people cover up wooden floors out of mere fashion. In the 50s vinyl became fashionable. All our wooden floors had carpet on them. Real ugly.

Either way, if the floor is not usable anymore we are putting in new oak floors. Until then, the plan is to refnish them.

Is there a quick way to test? The home depot test takes more than a month.

In another forum people told me its rockwool?

Old 11-28-14, 09:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The older rockwool was classed as a carcinogen.

Old 11-29-14, 09:40 AM
B
OK,

I guess i should get it tested. I thought i would get some more responses of people with experience here.

Either way, thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-29-14, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We do have experience, that's why we said the only way to be sure is to have it tested. I have been in the flooring business for 40 years as an owner, salesman, installer, inspector and teacher.

Old 11-29-14, 10:52 AM
B
Sorry Sam, that is not what i meant

I hoped someone would just tell me its not asbestos, but thats just ignorance on my part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: