ultraply & underlayment staple question

Old 11-29-14, 05:18 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ultraply & underlayment staple question

I plan to install UltraplyXL 1/4" underlayment over a plywood subfloor. The manufacturer recommends staple with 7/8" leg & 3/8" crown. Searching for an electric staple gun that handles this staple has yielded one cordless tool which is unavailable and would cost close to $500.00.

My questions are:

Can I move up to a 1/2" crown staple?
Will a 9/16" leg staple be long enough?

I'm a do-it-yourselfer so would prefer not to spend a lot for a tool I will use once.

Thank you,

Ed

Old 11-29-14, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Most pros use a staple with 1/4" crown. And you will need an air stapler. An electric won't give enough power to drive the staple in.

Old 11-29-14, 10:16 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-30-14, 06:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
For a one time use, this is definitely an item worthy of rental. You can pre-cut and hand lay all your underlayment and basically have it ready to go. Then rent the crown stapler for the smallest amount of time. You can probably shoot off a floor of average size in less than 1 hour easily. 6" on the edges, 8 inches in the field.

What type of flooring are you installing over this?

Old 11-30-14, 08:46 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use my narrow crown staple gun all the time.
It can be used for paneling, trim, tonged and grooved ceilings, ECT.

Old 11-30-14, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I would go with no less than 4" on the edges, 6" in the field. If you are installing vinyl, the adhesive can draw the underlayment upwards and cause bubbles.

Old 11-30-14, 10:03 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to all for answering my questions. The underlayment would be installed over a 3/4" plywood subfloor. I was planning to install either 12"x12" cork flooring or a bamboo clic floor.

When I think about buying or renting staplers, nail guns, air compressors, this is not a first time job for an aging amateur. Plus I just added a radial arm saw to the renting list for cutting the T&G planks to stagger the joints.

I think the best way to go is to have a solid wood T&G hardwood floor installed by a professional.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.

Ed S.

Last edited by edsphill09; 11-30-14 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add/correct info.
Old 11-30-14, 02:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
1/4" underlayment is not necessary under a click lock bamboo floor. You will need a sound deadening foam cushion underlayment. Not sure about your cork, - send us a link to your brand and style and we will get back to you. As previously mentioned, I also assumed LVT installation as the need for 1/4" underlayment.

If you are looking for structural integrity, you will need to install 1/2" material, and probably use exterior grade decking screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: