Laminate Starting to Chip

Old 12-01-14, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laminate Starting to Chip

Hi,

I installed laminates about 7 months ago and used spacers and everything on the ends. This has started to occur

Name:  2014-12-01_13-51-42.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  8.1 KB

It is only in this one spot. Wondering what the issue and resolution might be. I know we had the temperature low to save money but is this something with water? spacing not enough? temperature? Can we sand it down to fix? etc

Thanks

Old 12-01-14, 12:04 PM
R
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Looks like water damage to me and no you cannot fix laminate you can only replace it.

Old 12-01-14, 02:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
While it may be water damage, it also can be from excessive movement. What type of subfloor do you have? Did you use an approved underlayment foam? Does the floor flex or bounce in that area?

Hopefully you have a few board left over from when you installed the floor and can replace these damaged ones.

Old 12-01-14, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the fun world of laminate. Do you have any heavy objects in this area, such as a pool table, dining room table, refrigerator?? Looks like moisture degradation to me.

Old 12-01-14, 03:07 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that's moisture damage.
No it can not be sanded.
No you can not just remove and replace a piece.
What was it installed over?
What room is this?
No way is this caused from "movement damage".

Old 12-05-14, 08:57 AM
J
We just got rid of our laminate for very similar reasons and installed engineered hardwood. I absolutely hate laminate and will never use it again. Once it becomes damaged, there is absolutely no way to repair it. It has to be replaced. I agree that it looks like possible water damage. It looks warped to me, not chipped, which would be caused my moisture/water. Just one question: How long did you give the floor time to acclimate to your home before you installed it? If you didn't give it any time and just brought the floors home and immediately installed them, that could be another issue. The flooring should have had at least 48-72 hours to acclimate to the environment before being installed.

Old 12-16-14, 08:22 AM
Thank you all for your responses. This might sound dumb but that debris in the picture are actually needles from a christmas tree we just put up. We have been watering it for days but it is in the tree stand... Do you think water in the area could be affecting it?

We put in the 2cm foam and plastic water tarp underlayment underneath (they were seperate). So I don't think it is coming from the subfloor.

Thanks

@jawathas we had the laminate in our home for atleast a week before installing it.

Old 12-16-14, 08:31 AM
R
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
We have been watering it for days but it is in the tree stand
That pretty much covers how it got water damaged!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: