Laminate Reducer too short?

Old 12-08-14, 03:20 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laminate Reducer too short?

I just finished laying my floor and am moving onto the transitions, and it seems like the reducer strip isn't quite tall enough (like it was designed without accounting for the height of the underlay), so it sits angled, which creates a gap between where the reducer strip is supposed to lay flat on the new laminate floor.

See this image if my description is unclear.
http://imgur.com/SZs2Eak

This is on a plywood subfloor, so I was planning on just glueing the reducer strip straight to the floor. Do I need to somehow shim the subfloor expansion gap so the reducer can sit flat? I searched around and didn't find anything, so I'm not sure is there is a go-to solution here.

Thanks

Old 12-08-14, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I have never seen laminate taller than carpeting. Is that your case? What you are showing is laminate-to-hard surface transition. You will need a carpet to laminate transition. They come with a center mounting rail that is fastened to the floor, and the transition is pressed into the channel/rail. You only get one shot as it will destroy itself if you try to remove it.

Old 12-08-14, 05:42 PM
B
Thanks for the quick response!

I think I was using the wrong terminology. I'm actually using an end cap, not a reducer. It transitions up against a sliding glass door.

http://imgur.com/FLRIOO4

When the flat part of the end cap (the red arrow) sits flat on the laminate floor, the tall part (the black arrow) that I think is supposed to sit on the subfloor is 2mm off the subfloor. Maybe I need a center rail which will lift the end cap just enough to level everything out?

Old 12-09-14, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The part with the black arrow sits on top of your laminate and the red arrow part sits in a metal track as I described earlier. The laminate will move under the lip as it expands and contracts. Your first illustration indicated carpet, which prompted my first response.

Old 12-09-14, 10:48 AM
B
Ahh, ok. Most of the install instructions I saw were saying you didn't need a track if installing straight onto a plywood subfloor, but with the spacing, it makes sense. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: